7 Simple Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis
The bacterial vaginosis occurs when there is a change in the type of bacteria in the vagina. This imbalance between “good” and “bad” bacteria causes a white or gray discharge, with a strong smell, similar to fish.
Many women suffering from bacterial vaginosis may also experience a burning sensation when they urinate and may have to itch in and around the vagina. However, other women who also suffer from bacterial vaginosis may not experience any symptoms at all.
There are many home remedies that can kill the bacteria responsible for bacterial vaginosis. These natural treatments help restore the proper balance of vaginal bacterial flora and reduce inflammation. Other remedies have antibacterial properties that help eliminate infections that cause secretions and strong odor.
In this article, you will learn some of the effective natural treatments to cure and prevent bacterial vaginosis so that the symptoms do not recur. This reduces the likelihood of having a sexually transmitted disease. However, before knowing these treatments, it is important to answer a question:
Table of Contents
- 1 Bacterial Vaginosis – Home Remedies
What is the difference between bacterial vaginosis and yeast infection?
The Office on Women’s Health of the US Says that fungal vaginal infections are caused by an overgrowth of the Candida fungus. This causes white vaginal discharge, similar to cottage cheese (sorry if you consume it), but does not have a bad odor. It may also cause swelling in the vagina and painful urination.
Instead, the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis look more like a white or gray milk discharge with a strong odor and could be accompanied by inflammation, pain, and painful urination. It is important to determine whether there is a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis. Treatments for fungal infections do not necessarily cure bacterial vaginosis.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, bacterial vaginosis is the most common vaginal infection in adolescent women and in their mid-40s.
Bacterial Vaginosis – Home Remedies
The following are alternative options for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis
Consuming probiotics is a natural and effective way to treat and prevent bacterial vaginosis. Probiotics work well in cases of bacterial vaginosis, as they contain “good” bacteria that help restore healthy vaginal flora and reduce vaginal inflammation. Probiotics are also one of the best foods to improve the health of the vagina.
A review of research on the effect of probiotics on the recurrence of bacterial vaginosis showed that such a condition usually causes a low number of bacteria in the lactobacilli strain in the vagina. Most studies show that oral probiotic supplements prevent or relieve bacterial vaginosis without side effects.
Probiotics also help lower the level of vaginal pH, which is usually elevated in cases of bacterial vaginosis. When taking probiotics to cure such infection you must take the capsules daily, following the directions on the label. You can also take probiotics to prevent bacterial vaginosis. Reasons to take probiotics abound.
2. Unpasteurized yogurt
Another way to increase the consumption of probiotics is to consume unpasteurized (raw) yogurt as a natural remedy for bacterial vaginosis.
- Make sure raw yogurt contains strains of lactobacilli bacteria.
- Prestigious online publications claim that yogurt can be used to treat and prevent both bacterial infections and vaginal yeast infections.
- One study found that probiotic yogurts are as effective as clindamycin in the treatment of bacterial vaginosis.
- The clindamycin commonly prescribed by doctors to treat bacterial vaginosis.
- In that study, patients took 100 g of unpasteurized yogurt twice a day to treat the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis.
- You can also apply the yogurt directly into the vagina.
- It helps to restore “good” bacteria from the vagina to reduce vaginal infection and inflammation.
- The cooling effect of yogurt also helps relieve the itching associated with the condition.
- You can dip a tampon in raw yogurt and place it in the vagina, leave it for 2 hours.
- You can do this twice a day until symptoms disappear.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can be used as an effective home remedy to kill the germs that cause bacterial vaginosis. It contains antimicrobial and antifungal properties that can help reduce infection caused by bacteria. The antibacterial effect of tea tree oil can also help eliminate the odor of vaginal discharge.
- Fill a small bowl with warm water, add a few drops of tea tree oil and mix well.
- Rinse the vagina every day with the liquid until the infection heals.
You can also add tea tree oil to a bath with apple cider vinegar to cure bacterial vaginosis and prevent its recurrence.
4. Apple cider vinegar
The apple cider vinegar can help you get fast relief of itching and inflammation caused by bacterial vaginosis. This vinegar is antibacterial in nature and kills the germs responsible for the infections. Vinegar is also acidic and can help lower pH levels in the vagina. This is important in the fight against bacterial infections because bacterial vaginosis often causes the vaginal pH to exceed 4.5.
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar (or ordinary vinegar if you do not have apple cider vinegar) with a few drops of tea tree oil to a bath as a natural remedy for said infection.
- Soak for about 20 minutes in the bath to help eliminate vaginosis and its symptoms.
The acidity of the vinegar will help reduce vaginal pH levels. On the other hand, tea tree oil will kill the bacteria responsible for the infection.
5. Coconut oil and bacterial vaginosis
The coconut oil contains many antibacterial and antifungal properties and can be used as a topical treatment to overcome the vaginal bacterial infections. Studies of the antimicrobial effect of coconut oil have shown that the lauric acid it contains is effective against many infections. To treat the bacterial infection in the home a buffer soaked in coconut oil can be used.
- Gently warm a spoonful of coconut oil, so that liquid returns and add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and mix well.
- Soak a tampon in the coconut oil mixture and introduce it into the vagina for 2 hours to remove the bacteria that cause the vaginal infection.
Another way to use coconut oil to help prevent bacterial vaginosis is to incorporate this incredible oil into the diet.
6. Garlic for Bacterial Vaginal Infections
The garlic is a powerful natural remedy for bacterial vaginosis due to its antimicrobial compounds. In studies, garlic has been shown to kill the bacteria that cause infections. In fact, a study published in 2014 found that taking garlic tablets for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis was as effective as metronidazole, which is often prescribed for vaginal bacterial infections.
However, unlike metronidazole, there are no side effects when using garlic to treat vaginal bacterial infections. In the study, women received a 500 mg garlic capsule twice a day to cure the bacterial infection. The study also noted that consuming garlic will also help prevent recurrences of bacterial vaginal infection.
7. Oregano oil
Oregano oil can be used to fight germs (bacteria) that cause bacterial vaginosis. It is one of the best natural antibiotics and studies on oregano oil show that it is effective against most strains of bacteria.
- To help eliminate bacterial vaginosis with oregano oil, you can mix 2-3 drops with a spoonful of coconut oil.
- Apply this remedy to the vagina and leave the mixture for 2 hours.
- Keep doing this until you see improvement in your symptoms of bacterial vaginal infection.
To ensure that you do not miss future articles, you can subscribe to my blog or my NewsLetter.
I would appreciate it if you would give me tips if you suffer from Bacterial Vaginosis problems!
The most important thing… Your health