Cardio in Fasting: How to Lose Weight Faster
If you want to know how to use cardio fasting to burn fat as fast as possible read this article.
Overweight and obesity have increased alarmingly globally in recent decades.
The accumulation of fat, overweight and obesity, have a great clinical relevance as causal agent of serious pathologies, such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
One of the intervention models for treating weight gain is the association of a healthy eating plan along with a well-planned exercise program.
In order to reduce excess body fat, it is necessary to know the factors that can use fat as a source of energy for physical activity, which depend on the interaction of:
- Exercise, according to intensity, duration and particular training characteristics.
- Food, especially carbohydrate consumption before and during exercise.
Table of Contents
- 1 Definition of Fasting
- 2 Muscle Fiber Metabolism in Fasting
- 3 How Does Insulin Levels Change Food?
- 4 Major Characteristics of Cardio in Fasting
- 5 What Happens With Weights During The Fast?
- 6 Two Ways to Burn More Fat with Cardio in Fasting:
- 6.1 1. Training with HIIT in Fasting:
- 6.2 2. Supplements that make the Cardio in Fastest Effective:
- 6.3 Example of Exercise Routine for Cardio in Fasting and Later Diet:
- 6.4 And After Being in Fasting and Making Cardio?
- 6.5 Related Posts to Cardio in Fasting: How to Lose Weight Faster
Definition of Fasting
The definition of fasting on the part of the Royal Spanish Academy is: “abstinence from all food and drink from twelve in the night before”.
From the physiological point of view, fasting is defined as the metabolic situation that is limited to the morning after a night without eating (10-14 hours).
Muscle Fiber Metabolism in Fasting
During fasting, the lack of food decreases the availability of glucose, which is compensated by an increase in the oxidation of fatty acids in muscle and in the rest of the tissues, to supply the energy needs of the body.
In fasting, insulin levels are low, favoring the contribution of glucose to the nervous system and red blood cells; And using fatty acids for muscle work.
Numerous research has shown that fat oxidation rates are higher after more than 6 hours on an empty stomach. This is why many professional athletes choose to exercise on waking and before eating their first snack.
How Does Insulin Levels Change Food?
In studies conducted, it has been shown that only 35 grams of sugar are sufficient to raise insulin levels above basal levels by a few hours.
In the case of a mixed meal, consisting of 75 grams of carbohydrates, 37 grams of protein and 17 grams of fat, can raise insulinemia for more than 5 hours.
To give you an idea of the magnitude and duration of the increase in insulin value, you can see that only one serving of whey protein, it takes a couple of hours to complete your digestive and metabolic process.
Major Characteristics of Cardio in Fasting
- It helps to lose fat, especially the most rebellious buildup.
- You have to do it strategically, because you run the risk of losing muscle, and if your muscle cells are damaged, your repair will not be as optimal.
- It facilitates energy imbalance, where the burning of calories from fat is greater than caloric intake.
- It increases blood flow to the abdominal region, which is one of the main areas that we want to reduce.
- Many people feel that they have less energy, which translates into lower levels of intensity, both physical and mental. Therefore, the pros and cons must be objectively evaluated.
What Happens With Weights During The Fast?
Lifting weights during fasting is just as effective as cardio. Caution should be exercised, since you will feel greater weakness during the first weeks, which is absolutely normal and is not due to the loss of muscle mass, but to the lack of carbohydrate consumption, which are the source of energy that improves performance by excellence.
To deal with this substantial fact, it is important to decrease the number of repetitions, especially those with more weight, so as not to force the muscle.
Scientific research has shown that fatigue in fasting is somewhat transient, and that, after a few weeks, the body adapts to use more efficiently reserve glucose and improve its performance.
Two Ways to Burn More Fat with Cardio in Fasting:
In practice, research shows that fasting cardio does not burn as much fat as is believed. But when combined with high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and some supplements, the lipolytic and oxidative effects of fat are more pronounced.
1. Training with HIIT in Fasting:
A large body of research has shown that high-intensity interval training (HIIT) is more effective in fat loss compared to traditional low-intensity steady-state cardio (LIIS).
It has also been shown that LIIS is not an ally of the body at the time of preserving muscle, since its long sessions are detrimental to muscle development and increased strength.
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is an exercise method that alternates between periods of very high intensity and low intensity recovery. During the low-intensity period you are looking to catch your breath, in preparation for the next ultra demanding race.
Studies by researchers at the University of Western Ontario found that people lost more fat by doing 4 or 5 30-second races (with about 4 minutes rest) than those who did 60 minutes of walking on a treadmill.
When doing a calculation of fat loss , it was seen that the practice of 17 to 27 minutes of HIIT were comparable with 60 minutes of traditional bodybuilding cardio. Awesome!
While the exact mechanisms of how HIIT works are not well known, the general explanation is as follows:
- HIIT increases the metabolic rate for up to 24 hours.
- It improves insulin sensitivity in muscles, which helps the body to absorb and metabolize more efficiently the food it consumes (instead of storing them as fat).
- It increases the ability of your muscles to burn fat as a source of energy.
- It raises levels of growth hormone (GH), which actively helps in fat loss.
- It increases the levels of catecholamines, chemicals that mobilize fat to be oxidized.
- It decreases the appetite post exercise, which helps to avoid excesses in the meals.
- Muscle tissue is increased, helping in the loss of fat and boosting the metabolism in general.
The conclusion is clear, if you want to lose fat faster, you should perform HIIT, better if it is fasting, since the physiological mechanisms related to fat catabolism (burning) are optimized in an environment of low insulin concentration.
The best thing to burn more fat and preserve your muscles, is:
- Maintain a moderately low calorie deficit (to avoid weakness and rebound effect).
- Carry a high protein diet that increases satiety and maintains muscle.
- Perform 3 to 5 hours of resistance training per week.
- Keep the cardio in its minimum expression, since while you are in a caloric deficit, you have to preserve the muscle.
You can also lose fat without exercising, but it will be slower and more expensive, which could eventually end in frustration and abandonment of the diet.
If you really want to get a lean body (less than 10% fat for men and less than 20% for women), there is a point where you are bound to have to include some cardio exercise, and better if it is HIIT.
So how to do HIIT the Right Way?
You do not need more than 20 to 30 minutes of HIIT per session, a couple of times a week to significantly reduce adiposity.
2. Supplements that make the Cardio in Fastest Effective:
Supplements, while not essential in burning fat, combined with a healthy diet and HIIT exercises, can stimulate the process.
Here I describe several substances that increase the loss of body fat:
Caffeine helps in reducing weight, by increasing the amount of energy that the body burns in the daily work. It also improves strength, increases muscle endurance and optimizes anaerobic performance.
Scientific studies have shown that caffeine is most effective when consumed as a pill or powder, taking the precaution to avoid tolerance and its consequent decrease in effectiveness.
The scientific evidence recommends its use in case of exercises of medium and long duration, without leaving aside the medical supervision.
In addition, it contains 5 other proven performance enhancing substances for more efficient training.
HMB ( ß-hydroxy-ß-methyl butyrate)
The main drawback of cardio is the loss of muscle mass and the solution to overcome this problem is the use of a branched chain amino acid supplement (BCAA).
The best option is the HMB molecule, a product of the metabolism of the amino acid leucine, which stimulates protein synthesis.
The benefits of HMB on muscle include:
- Improves the integrity of the muscle fiber.
- Helps reduce muscle damage.
- It plays a vital role in the synthesis of intramuscular cholesterol.
- Protects the muscle from damage related to internal and environmental stress.
- Decreases protein degradation in disease states and prolonged rest.
- Protects muscle mass.
- Increases protein synthesis.
- Helps improve immune function, as demonstrated by numerous animal studies.
Several clinical studies have presented findings of data in healthy humans with doses up to 6 g daily and also in animals, which demonstrate the lack of side effects or contraindications of HMB.
HMB is a highly effective muscular anti-catabolic agent, which prevents muscle breakdown. As a result, the muscle recovers more easily and less pain after workouts. Its effects do not interfere with insulin levels, and the dose clinically proven to be effective is 2 to 3 grams.
Yohimbine is an alkaloid chemical extracted from a species of Yohimbe, a plant of African origin, with the following characteristics:
- It accelerates fat loss by blocking the activity of alpha cell receptors.
- Its action is annulled by high levels of insulin, so it should be used in fasting to increase fat loss.
- It has been shown to improve exercise performance, being effective in anti-fatigue fighting, prolonging the time prior to muscle exhaustion.
- It can be used after an exhaustive review and medical control, because it can have very variable effects in hypotension or hypertension, as well as manifestations of the nervous system.
Instant Knockout Fat Burner
The Instant Knockout orresponde a product with a caffeine – free formulation containing L-arginine, beta-alanine and creatine, which helps burn fat three different ways:
- It increases ostensibly the metabolic rate.
- Amplifies the potency of products naturally produced in the body and that have catabolic action for fats.
- It increases satiety after meals.
Many times misleading advertising refers to medical names and terminology to attract the attention of consumers and sell them their miracle products, but there are only 3 ways to speed up fat burning:
- Increase Metabolic Rate: refers to a kind of count or amount of energy that burns the body in the daily work. The more levitated it is, the more weight can be lost. This difference is obtained by burning more calories compared to the ones that enter, by stimulating the cells to produce more energy and reducing the efficiency of the energy process.
- Preventing Hunger or Food Cravings: One of the reasons why diets fail, is that people are not able to maintain them for the time needed to achieve their nutritional reeducation and fat loss.
- Making the total dietary experience more enjoyable: By making hunger and cravings more bearable, it reduces suffering and increases the sense of well-being and tranquility, which results in maintaining the weight loss plan.
Example of Exercise Routine for Cardio in Fasting and Later Diet:
Consider this example for an athlete with an important requirement, or for a person who wants to reduce a few kilograms of fat and improve their fitness:
- Carry out a high protein diet with a 25% calorie deficit.
- Weights of 4 to 5 hours per week.
- Exercises of cardio of 1,5 to 2 hours weekly.
- Fast since last night.
- Fifteen minutes before the weight lifting session and 45 minutes after waking up, the following sports supplements can be taken: 1 serving of Forge, 1 serving of Phoenix and 1 tablespoon of Pulse.
- Weightlifting exercises first thing in the morning (before eating).
- A couple of tablespoons of milk protein after training.
- Frugal lunch, a salad and about 170 grams of chicken meat.
- Take another tablespoon of whey protein (around 3 pm).
- At about 5:00 pm, before performing cardio, ingest the following supplements: 1 serving of Forge, 1 serving of Phoenix and 1 tablespoon Pulse.
- After this, perform 25 minutes of HIIT cardio on a bicycle in an upright or reclined position (around 6 pm).
- Plentiful dinner.
- Another important meal at 9 pm
In this case, calorie and carbohydrate intake are low until dinner, which ensures that insulin levels are kept low as well.
If the 3:00 pm meal was more forceful in carbohydrates, then the fasting state would not be produced at 6:00 pm
Note that three hours is enough time to process a meal of only 20 to 25 grams of whey protein (proteins and fats take longer to digest and metabolize than processed or simple carbohydrates).
And After Being in Fasting and Making Cardio?
If we are just talking about burning fat, continuing to fast after exercising seems reasonable. The chemicals that have been ingested for lipid catabolism are still in the blood, giving effect to muscle and body fat.
The crucial point to break the fast is very basic: if you continue without eating, you increase the risk of losing muscle mass. Some people consume HMB or BCAA after exercise, with the intention of prolonging the fast an hour or two more. But this option does not make sense, as the levels of catecholamines (adrenaline, noradrenaline and dopamine) return to normal levels shortly after finishing the practice of exercises. This fact raises that it is not worth risking the muscle in exchange for the amount of fat that can be lost. In addition, these supplements are very expensive.
So, you know, the scientific findings confirm that fat burning is substantially greater in cases of performing HIIT cardio fasting. And more effective, if it is enhanced by substances that stimulate lipolysis and oxidation of fatty acids.
Performing HIIT cardio fasting requires great mental preparation, willpower and patience. But if you persevere, you will achieve excellent results, especially in the most rebellious areas, such as the abdominal in men, and thighs and hips in women.
If you can not keep fasting to exercise, do not be discouraged, you can get the same results, in a longer time, when exercising after eating.
If you wish, you can share this article with others.
See you soon.